Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The first day of Endless Summer


Today is the first day of the Mid-State Fair. Its theme is Endless Summer which is very appropriate given Paso's beautiful blue skies, warm temperatures and carefree attitudes. That said, I woke up this morning at 5 a.m. to go to my Master's swim class and it was 40 degrees with a major Marine layer that resembled pea soup. It finally lifted and revealed a lovely crisp day. A perfect day to head to the fairgrounds ... but I didn't.

The fair is a big deal around here. It attracts a mass of humanity who come for the unique combination of big name talent (Aerosmith, Keith Urban, Toby Keith, Kenny Loggins), food on a stick, carnie rides, 4-H-ers with their farm animals and of course, judging who makes the best jam, pies and wine. We entered a couple wines and were thrilled to have received Best of Class for the 2009 Per Cazo Cellars Tres Blanc. I have been to state fairs before having hailed from the Midwest, but I don't think I know of any that begin the festivities with an honest-to-God Cattle drive. I really wanted to head into town to witness for myself the streets lined with cowboys and cowgirls leading the herd through the streets of town into the fairgrounds.

Maybe next year I will make it but I stayed here for a wine tasting appointment and it had its own magical moments of endless summer. As you can see in the photo, we had our own wine troubadour serenading us as we sat sipping the award winning wines on a beautiful summer day. John, with the Wine Wrangler, provided a rare performance of a couple of songs for his clients, Chris and Dave from the O.C. and Tim and Becky from Austraila.

Oh, I am sure I will get to the fair and one of these years I will see the cows running down Union Road, but if I could clone this day for my personal endless summer, I would. Wish you could have been here.

No comments:

Post a Comment